Recently I have seen a number of articles promoting a ‘Yes’ to the plastic bag and it quite frankly, infuriates me. Say No to the Bag.
I will be the first to put my hand up and admit I am not perfect, but it is SO important to understand the affect your waste is having on the environment. To not have any care for the damage we are doing with waste is just irresponsible.
This month we are promoting the No to the Bag. While this is just the first step you can take to reduce your waste, it is also a way for us to raise awareness on all waste and how to minimise them.
What we can do to Say No to the Bag
- First of all, if you must waste – Please recycle or compost where possible.
- Use glass bottles, jars or containers. More glass, less plastic will not only be good for the environment but also for your health. Plastics, especially when heated, or holding food/drink for a long time can be very toxic and imbalance your hormones.
- Take your shopping bags made from fabric or a basket with you. This means you will not have the need for a plastic bag.
- Use cloth food bags or glass containers to buy your food from bulk food stores.
- Take a reusable coffee cup or glass drink flask to reduce waste.
There are on average 6 billion plastic bags in landfill per year in Australia alone. It is important to know you CAN help reduce it.
Reduce waste and your carbon footprint, one step at a time and say ‘No’ to the Bag.